Who We Are
The South Dakota Optometric Society is the professional organization of optometrists in South Dakota. Membership is open to all optometrists licensed to practice in South Dakota. Nearly 80 percent of optometrists are voluntary members of the South Dakota Optometric Society.
For more than a century, the South Dakota Optometric Society has helped its members provide the highest standard of professional care to their patients by sponsoring continuing education programs for doctors, advocating at the state legislature for laws that represent patients’ best interests, and providing information to assist doctors practicing in a variety of clinical settings. The South Dakota Optometric Society remains committed to representing future generations of optometrists as they provide the most up-to-date eye care to South Dakota’s citizens.
The mission of the South Dakota Optometric Society is to represent its members by promoting the highest quality eye care, through leadership and professional education for member doctors, and by providing information and services to citizens and the government of South Dakota.
The Optometric Oath
As adopted by the American Optometric Association and the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry:
WITH FULL DELIBERATION, I FREELY AND SOLEMNLY PLEDGE THAT:
- I will practice the art and science of optometry faithfully and conscientiously, and to the fullest scope of my competence.
- I will uphold and honorably promote by example and action the highest standards, ethics and ideals of my chosen profession and the honor of the degree, Doctor of Optometry, which has been granted me.
- I will provide professional care for those who seek my services, with concern, with compassion and with due regard for their human rights and dignity.
- I will place the treatment of those who seek my care above personal gain and strive to see that none shall lack for proper care.
- I will hold as privileged and inviolable all information entrusted to me in confidence by my patients.
- I will advise my patients fully and honestly of all which may serve to restore, maintain or enhance their vision and general health.
- I will strive continuously to broaden my knowledge and skills so that my patients may benefit from all new and efficacious means to enhance the care of human vision.
- I will share information cordially and unselfishly with my fellow optometrists and other professionals for the benefit of patients and the advancement of human knowledge and welfare.
- I will do my utmost to serve my community, my county and humankind as a citizen as well as an optometrist.
- I hereby commit myself to be steadfast in the performance of this my solemn oath and obligation.